Transferring Credits

General Transfer Information

Official credit evaluations are completed after transfer students are admitted and confirmed their intention to enroll. In general, credit is granted for courses taken at accredited colleges and universities if they are the equivalent of courses offered by Rutgers and a grade of at least a C has been earned. Grades from institutions other than Rutgers are not posted to the transcript or included in the Rutgers cumulative grade-point average.

NJ Community College Students

Make a Smooth Transition

There's a smooth road to Rutgers for transfer students from New Jersey's community colleges when you use NJ transfer as your guide.

NJ Transfer is a web-based utility to assist prospective transfer students with course selections while attending a New Jersey community college. We recommend you use NJ Transfer to determine if a course offered at a New Jersey community college will transfer to Rutgers University and whether:

  •     There is an equivalent course or courses at Rutgers University
  •     The course satisfies any general education requirements for a school of Rutgers University
  •     The course satisfies any requirements for the Rutgers major program of study


Please use the school listing table to identify the "Transfer To" Institution on the NJ transfer website (see screen shot below)


State-wide Transfer Agreement (Lampitt Law)

In September 2008, New Jersey signed into law a Comprehensive State-wide Transfer Agreement. This Agreement, which is also known as the Lampitt Law, is designed to facilitate a smooth transfer from a New Jersey community college to the New Jersey public four-year colleges and universities.

The Agreement provides for full transfer of the Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) degree credits for community college graduates provided,  the student plans to enroll in a coordinating major at the upper division college/university and, the student has followed certain recommended guidelines as are posted on NJ Transfer.

Please note: neither the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) nor the Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) degree is protected by this law.

While a county college graduate with an  AA or AS degree  is not guaranteed admission to college  by this law, if the graduate has been accepted, then this law respects and protects those degree credits which the student has earned up to 1/2 of the coordinating bachelor's degree.  Generally that means a transfer of 60 - 64 credits maximum.  More particularly, the law instructs the upper-division college/university to transfer the AA or AS degree credits to completely satisfy that college's Freshman + Sophomore year core distribution.  The county college graduate should expect to enter the next college/university with junior status.

There are of course some exceptions; upper-division majors which lead to licensed fields, and majors which are accredited by an outside agency are not bound by this agreement.